Wednesday, August 17, 2011

pondering paint colors...

So, we are REALLY closing on our home on August 26th! Only a little over a week to go, and I (oops, I mean "we") need to make some concrete decisions about paint colors.  The goal is to get all of our walls/trim painted and floors cleaned before we move any furniture in. Ideally, before the end of the weekend...Yeah. I know.

If you didn't see the post about our house, here is a recap of what this area looks like now:

Here are some colors I think would look beautiful in against the linen white of the wainscoting and dark stained hardwood:


Grey Wisp by Benjamin Moore


Halycon Green by Sherwin Williams

Wedgewood Grey by Benjamin Moore  
Twilight Grey by Behr


For the upstairs hallways and guest bedrooms/office, I think we will stick with a shade of beige or grey, nice and neutral, and NOT this heinous brown:

Current downstairs bedroom

Hazy Skies by Benjamin Moore

Jute by Benjamin Moore

Sharkey Grey by Martha Stewart



I think we will go with any of these blues/beiges/greys for the master bedroom and bathrooms as well. Possibly from these palettes...





I still have about a week to narrow it down to 3-4 colors for the whole house! Honestly, I'm not organized/patient/picky enough to go through the hassle of buying samples and seeing how the paint actually looks, dried, on our walls. Bo and I will probably walk into Lowe's on Thursday afternoon, buy 3 colors of paint that are similar to these hues, sand, tape, paint, and move on. 

This is going to be a big undertaking. We are heavily recruiting volunteers! with drinks and pizza in return for your services :). 

I found this little tip on Pinterest to prevent your paint brush from dripping...

Just a simple rubber band, and wa-la! Automatic paint drip stopper.

Any other helpful tips you've discovered in your own painting/sanding/taping/spackling adventures?













1 comment:

  1. Lauren, you don't want to recruit too many people to paint or they will be joking around and not take it seriously...and you'll end up with a lot of 'oops' on the ceiling, etc. Call me when you get ready to paint. I'm good at cutting in along the baseboards and around doors and windows. I like to use one of those rectangular paint pads to cut in around the ceiling - that works best for me. Jeane

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Song request for the wedding? Want to tell me about your day? I would love to hear from YOU!